1. Welcome to the CAS forums. If Astronomy interests you beyond an Outreach visit to our observatory, please Sign Up Now to see more of our website and take part in the Astronomy discussions.
    CAS Members must register on this website if you wish to be updated with Society activity & News

What eye pieces?

Discussion in 'Astronomy Gear' started by Karen, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member CAS Member

I agree with Simon, I enjoyed last night. I would appreciate some advice on eye pieces. I only have two, would like more, but unsure on what to get or the size. I have 20mm which I use all the time and a 9mm which I have trouble focusing. Maybe i just need more patience and practice.

2. Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis Well-Known Member CAS Member

Yes ..likewise

I get confused .. Rob said he had some info from a preso he did on eye pieces ...??

3. Heather Skinner

Heather Skinner Well-Known Member CAS Member

You can pay Big money for eyepieces, but, it is an investment and worth it. Quite a while ago, Adrian let me borrow his eyepieces , and, what a difference, I bought a few of those, then, after a while of saving, I upgraded again to DeLIte and I love my eyepieces. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to eyepieces. I have a Televue 40mm Plossl -better for my 5inch MCT,-- Televue 14mm Radian, and my favourites,- Televue DeLite 18.2mm 15mm and 11mm. I bought the DeLIte from BINTEL in Aus. They have a nice wide 62degree FOV and very good eye relief which means, you don't have to glue your eye to the eyepiece which helps it not to fog-up quite so much and, is more comfortable to use. especially, if you have long eye lashes. I also treated myself to a Astronomic-[trade name,] UHC which is Ultra High Contrast- and BEAUTIFUL when viewing nebulae.. The detail you can see is stunning... When you get a good set of eyepieces and use them for the first time, it is like you have a brand new scope. I did a lot of reading about them online;-- so much, I started to get more and more confused, not to mention a headache, then ,talking to a 'in the know' [Rob] astronomer at the observatory one night, he told me about these DeLite eyepieces and, I liked everything I heard.. I am Very Happy with them. Next time, you and I are at the observatory, I will let you have a look through them through both my scope, and your scope... I also have a 2X Barlow which will double the mag. of your eyepieces.. catch up with you later.....:)

4. Grant

Grant CAS Webmaster CAS Member CAS Committee

He would have done one for the practical astronomy sessions. I've asked if those slides and notes can be uploaded for further reference

5. Karen

Thank you Heather, I will take you up on that offer, I don't intend buying another scope for a long time, but very happy to invest in eyepieces most suitable to my Dob, it's like everything, once you see something amazing in the sky, you want an even more spectacular view. I was most impressed with your view of the binary Alpha Centauri as you had the double perfectly whereas I could only see it as a single. So I'll probably pester you with questions and really appreciate your offer and reply.

Heather Skinner and CAS Admin like this.
  6. Grant

Interesting. Is there difference between the 2 scopes or is it purely eye pieces atm?

7. Heather Skinner

I was not using one of my 'new' eyepieces on that night,- I keep them for my own viewing and, member's [astronomers] nights.

8. CAS Admin

CAS Admin Administrator CAS Member CAS Committee

So did you both have the same size dob running ?

9. Karen

No I only have two eyepieces, different sizes from Heather, which is probably why I couldn't see the double. I wanted to know what sizes etc. to buy to achieve the same effect, and Heather gave me lots of helpful advice.

10. Grant

I'm looking at getting a new scope, so I''ll have to catch up with the pair of you so that you can fill me in on the differences. :coffee:

Heather Skinner likes this.
  11. Simon Lewis

what you getting

my little comet hunter should be here this week too :)

12. Grant

I can't make up my mind. Orion xt10g or xt12g. xx12g would be good choice but it's way too much.

13. Heather Skinner

It's all very confusing, and, it depends on your needs. I have an 8inch Newt/Dob, a good 'workhorse' for a quick set-up and public's nights;- the kids could have a see-saw on it and not do much damage! I also have a 5 inch MCT with go-to that is a nice size for me,-not too heavy, and, comfortable to use,-[ I bought that from Skylab in town] I keep the tripod legs short so I can sit at it. I am a bit useless at finding stuff myself with the MCT and 'cheat' by using a laser. It is more to set up, but the images are lovely and sharp. With that, a battery is needed for power for the hand control, I bought mine-- a jump start battery pack from Super Cheap Auto, and, I would recommend a hair dryer to de-mist... Also, I do not image, but view, so, I think it depends on what you mainly want it for, what you can afford, and, how easy, [or not] it is to set up, and can you manage the weight? The best scope, will be the one you will use.. Perhaps it is best to have a look through other people's scopes and find one you 'click' with. It may take some time but, after talking to others, viewing through other scopes, you may get that Ah Haaa! Now I know...I expect you already know about a lot of the info I have given here,- I started off from scratch re. the SCT and asked a lot of questions and got a lot of much needed help....

CAS Admin likes this.
  14. Simon Lewis

urghhhhh !

I checked out the eyepieces from Bintel ... ouch!!!

I think I don't want to spend that much .. my eye sight isn't brilliant for visual astronomy anyway!

I bought a barlow x 2.5 for use with the ASI224MC camera which I ordered this week :)

Does anyone of our members use Orion Stratus EP's - i read some nice reviews of them - 68deg FV and 20mm eye relief and some decent performance at a reasonable price .. I was going to order a 13 and either an 8 or 5.5 - with the barlows to give some something for visual use.

Anyone know these EP's??

Heather Skinner likes this.
  15. Heather Skinner

No they are not cheap, I only do visual astronomy, so too me, they are worth the money,-- an investment.. It is worth it to check out other people's astro gear, see what suits, and, it also depends on what you want from astronomy.. Hope you find what suits you...:)