Canterbury Astronomical Society
Grant Wells

Andromeda

can we see the andromeda galaxy from christchurch? anybody got any pics if so? plus dose anybody in cas live near linwood?

Being a northerly constellation, Andromeda is, at best, only visible for a few hours each night. From the South Island, the most northerly parts of the constellation do not rise above the horizon.

Alpheratz, α And, is about 24° above the horizon at its highest as seen from Auckland. From the extreme south of New Zealand its maximum height is 14°. Most of the rest of the constellation is lower.

In terms of time the galaxy is above the horizon for about 4 hours 40 minutes from Christchurch. Thus there is only a fairly brief window of opportunity to see the galaxy during the night. For New Zealand, it is due north, and highest, at about 10:30 pm (NZDT) in mid November, an hour later at the beginning of the month and an hour earlier by the end of the month. By the latter date it will be running into evening twilight. For each month before November, the galaxy will be at its highest two hours later. This means it is visible from New Zealand during the hours of darkness from about the beginning of July to the end of November.

• Like 1

woohoo cant wait to see it i have a 100mm acro refractor on a home made tracking mount Hope to get a glimpse of uranus tonight after tha cas meetign Ifs ever clear

19146209_10207541085965532_1681446214990475699_n.jpg

• Like 1

Yes you can but is it worth?

We saw it last year in November popping for about 2 hours in between two trees above the lodge. I must confess it is the WORST thing I have ever seen. I kindda wish I haven't because the last memory of it was from the N hem in a rural sky setting where it was nice, big and clear, about 7 years ago. Now, my last memory of it is a fuzzy, warped, flickering thing that looked like one of those ugly twisted monsters that realise what they have become and they beg you to shoot them and put them out of their misery. Sad! Not tremendous.