1. Welcome to the CAS forums. If Astronomy interests you beyond an Outreach visit to our observatory, please Sign Up Now to see more of our website and take part in the Astronomy discussions.
    CAS Members must register on this website if you wish to be updated with Society activity & News

Where we get our gear from

Discussion in 'Astronomy Gear' started by Jamie Mustoe, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Jamie Mustoe

Jamie Mustoe CAS Treasurer CAS Member CAS Committee

Hi all, this is envisaged as an informational thread when planning to buy some astronomy gear......share your favourite retailers and personal experiences....please don't slander retailers or argue over who's right or wrong.

I thought this would be informational as after talking with @Simon Lewis a few weeks ago I learnt a lot from his purchase experiences.

I'll start with:

Telescope Shop. Mounts, Eyepieces, Accessories, Binoculars
    Telescopes | Jacobs Photo and Digital
    http://langwoodsphotography.com/eshop/home.php
    Bintel, Australia's Largest Online Telescope & Binocular Store
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com

I have used all these sites at one point or another and had fantastic service from all. Even bintel in Sydney...you can get an item paid for and couriered to your door overnight if you place your order at the right time.

Let's hear all your favourite sites.

2. Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis Well-Known Member CAS Member

CAS Admin and Jamie Mustoe like this.
  3. Rob Glassey

Rob Glassey CAS Vice President CAS Member CAS Committee

Also don't forget Dave at Skylab here in Christchruch for SkyWatcher and Meade, and Andrew at AstroNZ in Auckland for GSO, QHY and other very cost competitive and good quality gear.

Jamie Mustoe likes this.
  4. Jamie Mustoe

I've not bought from Skylab here in CHCH that's really good to know @Rob Glassey thanks heaps....yeah AstroNZ....Andrew is awesome to deal with and have a chat with too!

5. Euan Mason

Euan Mason Active Member CAS Member

Skylab has been very good. I also buy in from Oceanside Photo and Telescope and Woodland Hills, both of whom have been excellent.

Jamie Mustoe likes this.
  6. Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis Well-Known Member CAS Member

Ive also used Williams Optics and Explore Scientific directly too and both were very helpful

Recently good comms/support with some more minor suppliers ....

Rsky - do dew heaters inc a nice low cost adaptive dew controller

Moonlite Focusers - high grade focusers and motors - Ron was extremely helpful

I've also used First Light Optics in the UK - they were incredibly fast and delivered a coma corrector in 3 days for a relatively low cost post. Recommended

Sadly apart from Bintel my experience in AU has been poor .. some don't reply or don't have stock they say they do.

Invariably I end up buying from the mainstream suppliers ....

Don't forget that for smaller stuff NZ Post do their YouShop forwarding service from the states. It adds a few days but for many US dealers they will send for either free or low $ to Portland and then its just $20 NZD or so to get a small box to NZ.

Ali express is alittle hit and miss but the Telescope and accessories link I sent above is good and they ship v quick and express post is good - somethings can be free if your not in a rush :) I'm an inpatient bugger .. I think by end of winter I might well have everything I am looking for the new obs!

:)

7. CAS Admin

CAS Admin Administrator CAS Member CAS Committee

A request for everyone who has submitted to this topic to also post the links as useful websites in the directory Useful Websites | Canterbury Astronomical Society
    You can tag them as equipment/ gear etc to enable search. Also please specify if they are NZ based or overseas as that may affect some people with customs and delivery.
    Thanks

8. Jamie Mustoe

Thanks Grant, will do. Didn't realise there was another similar thread.
    There is some interesting info coming out of this so I'm keen to keep some sort of discussion going where ever that may be.

9. CAS Admin

CAS Admin Administrator CAS Member CAS Committee

Yeah absolutely keep it here discussion wise, just pop a reference in the directory too. (y)

10. Heather Skinner

Heather Skinner Well-Known Member CAS Member

Bintel Aus, for my eyepieces. Skylab Antigua street for scope. Oberwerks America for my 20X80 bino.. all good service and help..

Jamie Mustoe likes this.