1. Welcome to the CAS forums. If Astronomy interests you beyond an Outreach visit to our observatory, please Sign Up Now to see more of our website and take part in the Astronomy discussions.
    CAS Members must register on this website if you wish to be updated with Society activity & News

Back Focus Help.... again!!! Different scope same issue!

Discussion in 'Astronomy Gear' started by Simon Lewis, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis Well-Known Member CAS Member

Doing my imaging last night on the new SW Quattro 8 and I found it really hard to get good focus

The only way I could get focus with the ASI224MC was to juggle a combination of camera, barlow and a coma corrector. Now as rightly pointed out I should not need the coma corrector.

But ...

OTA -> GSO Coma Corrector > X2 Barlow > ASI224

was the only way to obtain focus ...

Without the barlow .. .no focus
    Without the CC .. no focus

I suspect that the barlow was extending the light path enough to reach focus on the ASI224 and as the Quattro is a true Astrograph thats prob not good for the ASI camera

So my question now is .. how big an extension do I need on the SW focuser to reach focus

Without buying a bucket of extensions and adapters its a bit hit and miss!!!
    I suspect something in the region of 80mm ....

I've no idea if Skywatcher have the same info as the WO refractor has!

Cheers
    Simon

2. Andrei Cotiga

Andrei Cotiga CAS Observatory Director CAS Member CAS Committee

instead ob buying extensions which are quite ""bendy" I would suggest you look for a flip mirror. In this way you may look at your framing before flipping the mirror and taking you shot. Way more sturdy.

Or you can look at a normal long off-axis guider. This way you can use your ASI to either guide your DSLR or take planetary images.

To check approx distance needed f out focus, you can take you camera out and slowly take it outwards until it looks like it may reach focus (harder to do with cameras than with eyepieces).

3. Simon Lewis

thanks Andrei

I seem to really struggle finding the right bits in the optical path !

hmm I guess a flip mirror would add some length into the imaging too

maybe with the flip and the nose on the camera with the tube it would reach focus

OAG .. not sure I can add barlows and things then which is really needed

yes _ guess I can try pulling the camera out of the focuser and see how far I need to go!

4. Andrei Cotiga

you can add 1.25 barlows to an orion OAG. Next time at the obs I'll show you the model we have and you may try it. The flip mirror ads about 60mm (maybe slightly more). I had a Vixen I was really happy with.

5. Simon Lewis

6. Andrei Cotiga

Exactly like that.

CAS Admin likes this.
  7. Simon Lewis

ok some daylight and some heading scratching and i think I am at the bottom of the issue

i must have been lucky using the coma corrector, the extension tube and barlow on the ASI224 does focus but the camera chip must be someway out of the focuser - i assume you can find multiple focus points?

i stuck my DSLR on and with the hotech 2" adapater its just focusing with the focus tube all the way in - add the CC and the focus is out

so I need a shorter nose for the DSLR

the hotech has quite a deep nose

[​IMG]

the distance from the silver adapter to the DSLR body is too long and JUST makes focus

this should be better

Adapter T2 to 2"

upload_2017-7-30_13-50-57.png

ok to swapping to the CCD.....

I again struggled but taking all the adapters out and just using the short nose on the camera I was able to pull the camera out and find a focus with about 45mm of distance from 2" screw adapter on the focuser

the tube that rob loaned as 80mm - too long so I need a short tube of say 45mm

I was able to find focus using that distance

honestly this is like Lego!!!!

8. CAS Admin

CAS Admin Administrator CAS Member CAS Committee

This is what I had with the 12 last night. The dslr looked like it needed to go closer to focus, but worked with a Barlow. Then you had issues with your camera with the same set up

9. Simon Lewis

now i found this

"The Quattro's tube is lined with a set of nine internal baffle rings. Their main purpose is to cut down on stray light entering the telescope tube, helping to improve image contrast, but they also lend a bit of extra stability to the tube structure....The Quattro-8S is fitted with a Crayford-style focuser that performed well. It has tension adjustment, focus-lock and a 10:1 dual-speed fine focusing option, and also comes with a 2-inch fitting that has a T-thread on its external side. This allows a good connection to be made between scope and camera with the right adaptor ring....Visually, the Pleiades looked like diamonds hanging in space, with a hint of nebulosity visible around the brightest star Merope. The stars were generally crisp and sharp, with good colour on show. The scope is superb for imaging too, delivering shots that appeared to have higher contrast than the other scopes on test."

while that might be ok for the DSLR it won't work with the coma corrector unless one comes prethreaded

So think I need a short nose for the dslr and short adapter for the ccd

of course .. not the bits I have!!!

CAS Admin likes this.
  10. Simon Lewis

11. Simon Lewis

OK solved
    at least for the DSLR

I bought the skywatcher coma corrector this has a very thin nose and mounts inside the drawtube

http://www.skywatcherusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/s20204_quattrocomacorrector-600x533.jpg

with this I now have a healthy 30mm or more back focus available

with say 15mm for a TOAG I still have a good 15-20mm of back focus with the DSLR in place

I am satisfied this will work - the SW CC is also a 4 element aplanatic ED glass - I will try it tonight but the mountain view was stunning colour so I am convinced this is a good solution

Skywatcher f4 Aplanatic Coma Corrector | First Light Optics

now I need to get a screw extension to extend the drawtube out to suit the ASI

but thats somewhat easier!

:)